The name may sound ominous, however ‘Operation Heat’ is all about building relationships.
The Ontario Provincial Police across the province will be launching Crime Prevention Week this Sunday with the theme ‘Crime Prevention: Help Us Help You’.
Operation Heat helps police to build relationships with youth in the community and rewards good conduct by giving out “tickets” for hot beverages at Circle K Convenience Stores across Ontario.
North East Region OPP Media Services Coordinator Sergeant Carlo Berardi says building trust is what makes Operation Heat so important.
Officers may hand out a “Positive Ticket” to a youth for a number of reasons including:
• doing a good deed and being kind to others
• participating in community activities
• demonstrating community pride e.g. picking up trash
• deterring crime or observing school crossing rules
• acting as an “icebreaker” to establish a rapport with kids in their patrol area.
Crime Prevention Week begins this Sunday, November 4th and continues until November 10th.