The Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve is taking the month of April to launch its campaign to raise money and increase the Biosphere’s membership to a goal of 500 members.
GBBR Board Chair Ron Chase says that “local business will match your donation – so this is a great time to give!”.
He adds, “We create jobs, offer training, and contribute to the local economy each year. Your contribution goes directly to our work of building a sustainable region”.
The GBBR says that becoming a member:
- Shows your commitment to Biosphere values
- Educates our community about the GBBR
- Receive information on our programs, newsletters, and events
- Open invitation to join committees of the Board
- Optional 8″×10″ landscape photo (upgrade to an 11×14″ wall plaque) customized with your name
While the Biosphere Reserve is recognized by UNESCO, Canadian biosphere reserves do not receive funds from the United Nations organization, nor from the federal government outside of project grants.
The GBBR spends an estimated 10 percent on administration, to ensure that donations go to where they are needed most.
These programs include:
- Environmental education & hands-on stewardship for 1,200+ children/year
- Ecosystem health research, monitoring, and training
- Food security & community gardens
- Climate action & regional energy planning
- 50+ community workshops each year
- Indigenous partnerships among area municipalities & First Nations.
To become a member as either a business or an individual, visit the GBBR website.